The practice moved to its present site in 1997. The design of the new building has taken into account the needs of our patients and will serve those patients well into the 21st century. We shall continue to provide a family based service, delivered by a team of dedicated and conscientious professionals. Our practice covers an area of about 5 miles radius. If you have any doubt whether your home is in our area, please ask one of our reception staff for guidance.
Dr Dellal, the founder of the present-day practice, came to 80 Brook Green in 1932 where he lived and worked. This was long before the NHS was formed. He worked single-handed with no other help at all - no receptionists, no nurses. Workers were covered by Insurance Panel Patients, but not their families, who had to pay, therefore causing great hardship. The cost of consultation included 'a bottle of medicine'. Dr Dellal used mix this himself.
During the second world war Dr Dellal became a medical officer to troop convoys between UK and Gibraltar- doing the return trips with ten days 'rest' at each end. In 1942 he joined the 1st Army and served in North Africa and Italy, where he was in charge of a prisoner of war hospital. He always said this was the best time in his life.
Mrs. Dellal and the children, David and Doreen, spent the war in Wales. Their house was requisitioned and used for housing for the people bombed out of their homes. It was difficult to get the house returned to them, but finally- in the summer of 1946 they returned to London and Dr Dellal started to rebuild his practice. His patients had been looked after by surrounding doctors. It was difficult to get started again, so the beginning of the NHS was a blessing for doctors and patients alike.
So, in 1948 EVERYBODY was entitled to medical treatment without cost. Dr Dellal never stopped singing the praises of the NHS and the freedom it gave doctors to prescribe the treatment needed, without thinking about cost. In 1961, Dr Edward Shaoul joined the practice. The premises were enlarged to nearly double the size! In 1966 this gave room for Dr Doreen Shaoul to join the practice and Jocelyn Boys to be the very first receptionist! Dr Dellal was not at all happy at the idea of a receptionist and insisted on waiting until Mrs. Boys's children were old enough for her to come out to work.
Until 1981 the practice was entirely family run and the patients were far less mobile than now. We still look after 3 and 4 generations of families - and 5 generations of one family.
Dr Dellal kept sweets in the desk drawer and children never left the surgery without one! Dr Edward used to deliver babies at home and many of our existing patients were delivered by him!
Dr David Wingfield joined in 1989 and he has continued the tradition as a locally involved G.P living locally, sending his children to school at Brook Green and both he and his wife being active members of The Brook Green Medical Association.
Over the years the French Community on Brook Green has grown substantially. Dr Wingfield speaks excellent French and his wife Françoise liaises closely with the community in her capacity as President of the Parents Association at the French school, Jacques Prevert. Since 1981, other doctors have joined us and in 1986 we employed our first Practice Nurse. In 1988 Gillian Williams joined us as Practice Nurse and trained under Dr Edward to qualify as one of the first Nurse Practitioners.
You can see who is now working at our practice in the rest of this web site. We currently have over 11,000 registered patients and staff numbers are appropriate to this. It is a far cry from the days of Dr Dellal, but we know the spirit of striving for excellence lives on.
Dr Edward and Dr Doreen Shaoul retired in June 2006